Sunday, February 3, 2013

February 3, 2013


Hi everyone! Back in Montepuez this weekend. Liz and I were lucky and got a ride from one of the three missionary families who live here in Montepuez. He came right to our door and dropped us off at Anna’s house. It was really nice! The ride itself was quite an adventure again though lol we were on a dirt road for most of the trip because Chad has his own car and was dropping off friends who lived in random small villages between our house and Montepuez. We saw a beautiful old abandoned Catholic Church that use to have a school and I am very very glad he asked us to sit in the front with him. Having a slight motion sickness problem is starting to be more of an issue living in a third world country lol i made it safe and sound though. 

Let’s see. I’ve started teaching here in Mozambique finally! Because our school is in the middle of nowhere, Liz and I didn’t go to school on the first official week of school. There were hardly any students and no point in teaching /giving a syllabus when only 5 or 10 of your students are present. This year I’m teaching one class of 9th grade biology (plants) and 11th grade biology (phylogeny). I am also teaching two classes of 11th grade English, which I’m very glad I have. I still don’t feel like my Portuguese is really adequate for teaching biology yet but I’ll get there. My 9th grade students are quite and sweet but my 11th grade students are ALWAYS correcting my pronunciation and spelling. If anyone remembers not understanding the teacher with the strong accent in most of our science classes, that’s now me. Because of our limited resources (chalkboard and chalk) and the fact that my students don’t have textbooks, I’m forced to either read my notes out loud or write them on the board. My students couldn’t understand me when I tried to read out loud and it just takes forever when I write things on the board and wait for them to copy it down. Must work on pronunciation… 

But yes. Teaching itself has been a lot of work for me. This is the first time I’ve ever taught in my life but I think I’m starting to get the hang of it. There have been a lot of ups and downs so far. All of my students are so excited to learn English! This skill is so useful for them, especially because all the bordering countries all use English as a national language so they are always trying to practice. I asked my English students to write a paragraph so I could see what level they are at and apparently they think I’m a good teacher (self esteem boost!). I was about to go on a rant about some of the other teachers too but I think I’ll wait. One of the things I will talk about, however, is punctuality. On Friday, Liz and I signed a paper saying that we will go to a meeting on Saturday at 7am about. One of the topics was, surprisingly, punctuality, so we thought it would a good idea to show up on time. I started getting a little worried when we told our neighbors (who are also teachers) that we were going to the school and they said they weren’t leaving yet. Liz and I waited with two other teachers for an hour before finally signing a paper and leaving without even doing the meeting. Five out of the thirty two teachers showed up. 

I am teaching 15 hours a week now and both Liz and I don’t teach on Fridays so hopefully we’ll have more time to travel! With my ninth grade class, I made the outline of a plant cell on the wall and drew organelles on post-its and handed them out to my students. They all really enjoyed coming up to the board and sticking their pictures up. I also found out that we have a microscope in our biology/chemistry lab! I was so shocked and excited when I found it! We don’t have electricity so it has a mirror underneath. I brought my flashlight in and took a leaf from outside and showed them what it looks like when you look through a microscope and they all got pretty excited! The two things I’m missing, however, are slides and slide covers. There are simple experiments (onion skin and cheek cells) that I could do with my kids if I can find some. One of the biology teachers suggested buying some from a lab in a hospital so I will try that when I get a chance. Liz and I are pretty excited about the fact that there is a “laboratory” (empty room with a few chairs and counters) here though! We want to make a science club eventually and hopefully decorate the place. If anyone has any suggestions for simple easy experiments I would love to hear them. I was thinking about using some Science Olympiad activities if I can. Wish me luck!

Liz, by the way, is teaching chemistry and English. She is teaching 10th grade chemistry, which is… wait for it… Organic Chemistry. What!? Lol and all of her students don’t know what a periodic table is. The book we are suppose to be teaching from doesn’t even have a period table in it anywhere! Liz, also, did a review with her students and a lot of the teachers gave her a hard time about it. They kept telling her that she was teaching 9th grade level material. But where do you draw the line? How can she get her students to understand this material when they didn’t learn the basics the year before? Memorization I guess. The school system here is very strange. Students could potentially learn chemistry for five years (I only took one year of high school chemistry and I have a minor in it!). They are all also expected to learn Portuguese, English, and French in school and none of them speak any of these languages originally. Here in Cabo Delgado, at least where we live, people speak a local Bantu dialect called Makua. Students are, therefore, expected to know four different languages by the time they graduate high school. I, personally, can barely speak two! Also when are students suppose to be learning this material? When I was in high school, I spent all of my time studying at night. How can you expect students to do this when there is no electricity? Also if they girls are living at home, they are also expected to do household chores as well (taking care of the family, cleaning, and cooking). It’s no wonder its so hard for them to graduate. 

Oops. I ended up ranting. That’s all I want to say about the school for now. I took a few pictures though of my school for everyone to see! 

The front of my school. In English it’s Mariri High School. 

 The inside quad where the students sign the national anthem. 

The door to our biology and chemistry lab!

The view of the lake if you are standing in front of the school. I was going to take a few more photos but my camera ran out of battery. Next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment