Merry Christmas everyone! It doesn’t feel like Christmas Eve
here though. It’s just too hot! I’m so use to all the decorations in the stores
and commercials on TV. It’s so strange to me that I don’t see it here. We left
Montepuez today and traveled three hours by chapa to the beach. We met up with
some volunteers who invited all the new Cabo Delgado volunteers over. When we
walked inside the volunteer house, we saw cute stockings with our names on them
on the wall and real stockings with something inside of them hanging from the
window. The Christmas cookies were delicious, and after that we ate lunch at a
place called Frango Assada (half a chicken and French fries. Yum!). We were pretty full after our meal and headed
to the beach. It was so pretty! Beautiful white beach with palm trees lining
the beach and warm water. VERY different from the beaches in Long Beach. No
trash! After walking down the beach, we stopped at a restaurant with really
funny/tacky xmas decorations. Dinner was at the restaurant near a hostel
(Russel’s). A few of us split a pizza, hamburger, and lasagna and we got to
meet a lot of the volunteers here in Mozambique.
While I was eating, the coolest/most random thing that
happened to me! A girl walked up to me asking if I was from Palmdale and
Lauren’s friend. I completely blanked out and didn’t understand what she was
talking about until I realized that a couple days before I left the U.S.,
Lauren Pitts (from high school) told me her friend was also a PCV in
Mozambique!! And this was her! She found me here in Pemba. It was so awesome
because her site was all the way in the south near a place called Chokwe in the
province of Gaza. I also found out that my mom’s friend’s friend’s daughter is
another education volunteer here in Mozambique. Such a small world!
After that, we went to a party. I was really tired because I
am use to going to bed when the sun goes down (Which is early! Life without
electricity). I also wasn’t really in the mood for socializing with people I
had never met before and dancing to music while drinking beer and smoking. So,
instead, I talked on the phone to Nick until his credit ran out. It made me
realize what I value most about Christmas, which is The Christmas Spirit
combined with family and friends. It was hard to be away from that and I don’t
have any close friends here in Cabo Delgado but it was so nice to talk to someone
at least on the phone. After I hung up with Nick, one of the girls we met
earlier (Pam’s new roommate named Stephanie) sat next to me and I complained
about the whole situation. Thank goodness she felt the same with me. We
randomly found a chapa back home (half of us were standing) and when we got
back, Stephanie mysteriously pulled me outside away from everyone else. I was
extremely happy and surprised when she suggested listening to silent night on
her ipod while lighting candles. It made me miss you guys so much. I wish I was
in Texas with my family at Candlelight Service but that’s not exactly practical
at the moment lol but lighting that candle made me feel like I was with you
guys in spirit :) Finally got to bed around 2am and slept under a mosquito net
with Anna.
The next day, Christmas day, we woke up early and heated up
the cinnamon rolls! Stephanie surprised us again by adding gifts to our
stockings (bon bon chocolates, lotion, and soap!) and we listed to holiday
music or watched “Elf” and “How the Grinch Stole Christmas.” After that, we
headed to the beach once more to hang out and made tacos that afternoon for
dinner. They were so delicious! I miss real vegetables. It is “Tempo de Fome”
(time of hunger) here in Mozambique right now so there are not many
types/amounts of produce and all they have is expensive.
Opening our Christmas stockings! From left to right: Anna,
Will, Vikram, me, Rafael.
View of the beach.
Another pretty view of the beach in Pemba.
No comments:
Post a Comment