Wednesday, January 29, 2014

January 28, 2014

Back to school! We’ve just returned from our Midservice conference in Maputo, which means that I will be coming home this year. I can’t believe it’s already been 16 months! We spent the week participating in workshops in the morning and medical/dental exams in the afternoon.

One of my students who participated in English Theater has been staying at our house to take care of the pets while we’ve been traveling. Before we left, he came by our house and helped us start a machamba (subsistence garden). There are now four beds in our backyard with tons of beans, corn, and pumpkin. We also took out our seeds again and planted some snow peas, lettuce, flowers (morning glories), and squash. It apparently rained a lot while we were gone because our garden looks great! Now we’ll have more free food in the months to come.
 
Beans!

Our yard has already been treating us quite well. We ate more mangos than I thought possible (Elizabeth made tons of jam!) and grabbed some papayas before anyone else could climb the tree and take them (see example below). We also just started chasing kids away from our guava tree so hopefully they’ll be ripe in a few weeks!

School officially starts Febuary 4th (next week!). I still don’t know what I will be teaching but I’m looking forward to working again. Hope everyone is happy and healthy in the U.S. Stay well!

No comments:

Post a Comment