Hi everyone!
Thank you so much for all the
emails! I absolutely loved hearing about everything you guys have been doing
and what’s new in the US. I can’t wait to vote too, November is coming up soon!
I finally figured out how to get
internet on my phone and I can now read the emails you send me! It takes
forever for me to type on it, though, so I’m typing this now on my computer.
Later, I’ll put it on a flash drive and bring it to the really old and slow
computer in town to send to you guys. I have two SIM cards here. The Peace
Corps gave us cards for the two most popular cell phone providers here (Mcell
and Vodacom) and we won’t know which works better at our site until we get
there. I completely lucked out because I bought a phone here that holds both
cards in it so, as of right now, if you want to call me on either one and I
should pick up :) We always eat dinner at 8pm so I think I should be free to
talk at 9pm my time, which is around noon at home.
Class starts at 7:30 so I’ve been
waking up early! It’s expected that I take a bath at least twice every day.
Here, most people take at least three. My language professor was so surprised
to hear that we only take one a day in the US. He must think we’re crazy. Or
just dirty. Haha. My house, as I said earlier, is much nicer than I expected. I
have an indoor bathroom and my bedroom is pretty big! No running water though.
I take a bucket bath by first heating water and mixing it with room temperature
water. I also need a bucket of water to “flush” the toilet too. The other day,
we walked to where the other half of our group of peace corps trainers live.
There are 68 of us total. About 25 teach bio/chem, 10 math/physics, and the
rest teach English. The English teachers live in “casas” that are made of
stones and mud and their neighborhood is much different than ours. I didn’t realize
this until recently, but we science kids live in houses the Portuguese built
when they used this town as a vacation spot. There are many beautiful old
buildings with bright colors and overgrown vines in my neighborhood. I haven’t
walked around with my expensive electronics yet, but I will definitely take
some photos before I leave. The other neighborhood I mentioned is kinda “the
ghetto” of Namaacha. The reddish/brown dirt and tin roofs/walls of latrines
give it a completely different feel and atmosphere. I feel pretty spoiled right
now but am not complaining. I’ll get a real understanding of what life is like here in Mozambique after
training.
I feel very safe here in Namaancha.
The reason why I haven’t brought my electronics out of my house yet is just a
precaution. We are right next to the Swaziland border here and even though we
don’t do anything, everyone here sees us as a big dollar sign because of our
American faces and accents. And, in reality, I feel like they are completely
justified in thinking that. We are rich compared to everyone here even though
we only get around the equivalence of $40 US dollars every two weeks and I have
so many clothes compared to everyone else in my family. I am the fifth
volunteer my family has had so I think they’re pretty use to all the funny and
strange things we Americans do. I don’t think my experience has been as awkward
as other people I’ve talked to because my siblings always want to talk to me.
They are nice, happy, and more than willing to correct my accent or tell me
when I’m making no sense. I really haven’t been learning as much as I want
because I spend most of my time either in school or entertaining my siblings.
By the time I get back to my room, I’m too tired to do anything but sleep. Most
days we are in our language groups (5 volunteers and 1 teacher) but we have
days when it’s just the science people and other rarer days when all 68 of us
get together. Sometimes we go to the local bar to hang out. There is also a
social center and the biology study area to go to too. We’re kept pretty busy
and I haven’t had much free time to do anything.
Let’s see. The weather. Right now
it’s raining and the sound the rain makes on our tin roof reminds me of
Grandma’s house. Everyone in the house is bundled up, including me. Today was
the first day I was cold while bathing and I’m wearing my Long Beach sweater
with pj pants. I assumed it would be a lot hotter here since we’re heading into
summer but I am absolutely loving the coolness we have right now. Last weekend
it was pretty hot, dry, and windy. I’m not exactly sure what to expect in the
coming weeks but I hope to buy some rain boots when we go back to Maputo on
Saturday, along with whatever else I can think of.
The mosquitoes still love me. I keep
getting bit on my feet, at least one bite a day. The bites aren’t as itchy as
the ones in Taiwan and the mosquitoes only come out at night, which I’m
thankful for. The main problem is that the mosquitoes here can actually kill
you :/ I’m on Larium now. One pill a week. I could hide under my mosquito net
all night but when I do that, I end up just falling asleep prematurely in bed.
Lucky me, huh?
Please tell me whats new in your
lives! I dying to know all about it :) Stay well and hopefully you’ll hear from
me again soon.
*Mei there
is a commercial on TV that plays the beginning of Breakeven by the Script. The
non-lyrical part. It makes me happy haha
No comments:
Post a Comment