Next day I woke up late (around 7am!) and one of the guys,
Kevin, told my friend Andrea that he would take us to the “Cascades” or
waterfalls that are near Namaacha. It was misty/rainy this morning but humid!
We met up with another guy, Nick, and Kevin’s dog. A lot of people here are
afraid of dogs because of rabies and kids throw rocks at them. It’s really sad.
But, because people are afraid of dogs, our security advisor told us that it
would be a good idea to adopt a dog. If I do, I might ask you guys to send me
flea medicine :) But yeah, Kevin’s dog is about 7 months old and almost got hit
by a car as we were walking down the main road. So scary! But it really was the
dog’s fault. Hopefully he’ll learn to avoid cars before anything worse happens.
After that, we hiked to the cascades and the scenery was awesome. Saw some
goats and took some pictures. The
hike itself took a few hours but the cool weather made the trip completely
worth it.
The beautiful flowers I saw everywhere.
The waterfalls (cascadas).
From left to right: Me, Nick, Andrea, and Kevin (Max is hiding behind us).
These past few days we learned how to make a perma-garden!
First, we made a compost pile (I remember you teaching me why steam comes off
compost piles Dad, thanks! It helped me with a question on our test!). Then we
dug trenches to make a veggie garden. The ground is so rich and fertile here!
The second day we went back and planted seedlings and seeds. Tomatoes, cove (a
type of collard green I think), sweet potatoes, corn, banana tree, and also a
medicinal tree that I only know in Portuguese. Apparently you use it to make tea
though! Yum! One of my brothers, Assane, helped us hoe and wow those kids are
good workers! Assane is still my favorite. I think the reason why he is so
helpful around the house is because he is not actually my adopted mom’s son.
Kinda like Dulcinia (she’s my host mom’s niece). I’m not sure how he is
actually related to the family yet but I’ll figure it out eventually. The other
night he was in my room with all the other kids. They were helping me bring hot
water into the bathroom when I noticed that my shampoo and soap was already
there. I was confused because I couldn’t remember putting it there and I didn’t
know how/what to ask him in Portuguese when he said, “Who put that in here?”. I
said “Yes.” And he answered “Me!” I could not stop smiling for a full five
minutes. I also made a complete mess in the bathroom the other day. I was
wearing my sandals outside and got dirt on them and there was water on the
floor of bathroom. I’m not allowed to walk barefoot around the house so I,
therefore, made a lot of mud. I went to change in my room and after I was done,
I walked back into the bathroom and saw that it was clean. Assane was outside
in the hall and told me he had cleaned for me. Thanks Assane! The kids like to
show me how they do on tests. Assane does pretty well and I tutored him a bit
in fractions and percentages. My youngest sister, Mae, however failed her
tests. She got a 1 out of 20 on her math and 4 out of 20 on Portuguese. I was
helping her figure out how to add by using some crayons I brought. I then
realized that she doesn’t even know the alphabet and can’t read or write. She’s
a smart girl though so hopefully I can teach her some things before I leave
(update: I just found out Mae is moving onto the next grade! I’m pretty
annoyed. This is a clear example of corruption in the schools and I’m worried
about her future education. Schools are required by the government to pass a
certain amount of students each year and it is common for teachers to change
grades at the end of the year to meet this quota. What a joke. But Mozambique won't get funding from other countries like the U.S. if they don't pass a certain amount of students. Schools also get more money if they pass more students. It's a never ending cycle).
Tutoring Mae. She's a cutie :)
Let’s see. The weather. So we’ve had freak thunderstorms
pretty often these past few weeks. The rain is so loud that it actually wakes
me up (and I’m a heavy sleeper!) at night. Whenever it rains, I lose reception
and internet on my phone. The electricity also goes out. Yey. Haha I’ve bathed
by lightening twice now and that was quite an experience. I left my head lamp
in my other bag so I’ve been using the flashlight on my iphone. Fun times. But
I’ve really liked it. We never had crazy weather back home.

No comments:
Post a Comment