This past weekend was a lot of fun! It was Eric’s birthday
and they decided to roast a pig in the ground. It reminded me of New Zealand
and how the Maori cook their food. The day started off at 4am with a pig
squealing. The pig was then cleaned, stuffed, and buried underground.
Heating the pit with charcoal.
Placing the pig in the pit (covered in foil, a sack, and
chicken wire).
Layering! Tin foil covered the outside. Then a door was
place on top, covered with dirt.
The roasted pig (later that evening) Success!
The next day the guys rented a chapa (public
transportation=a open back truck with a tarp covering it) to take us to the
illusive but famous waterfalls in Chiúre. We went down a bumpy dirt road after
stocking up on snacks in town. It was the roughest ride I had been in since I
went to Invinha during site visits. When we finally arrived, I was slightly
nauseas and covered head to toe in dirt but wow was the site worth it! We
walked to the edge of the cliff and saw these beautiful gigantic waterfalls that
were literally in the middle of nowhere! Much bigger than the ones in Namaacha.
It was from the river that separates the provinces of Nampula and Cabo Delgado.
The boys from the local village showed us where to go to climb down the cliff.
I don’t know if it was because I was scared or just tired but I couldn’t stop
shaking till we got to the bottom. It was totally worth it though :) So
beautiful! When we left, we gave the village chief a bag of oranges as payment.
Could you imagine doing something like that in America? Lol A fun day spent
with great people. I’m going to miss everyone in Cabo Delgado!
Some of the kids that helped us down to the waterfall.
Me and the waterfalls. Can you spot me? Can you spot all the
dirt I’m covered in? haha
The rapids at the bottom.
The view of the waterfalls near the top of the path.
No comments:
Post a Comment