During the most recent Women’s Day, Pam came to hang out
with us for the weekend. We got to relax, eat lots of food, and grade while
watching Friends. We introduced Pam to many of our collogues and showed her our
library. Pam also has a library and tutoring program at her site so it was nice
being able to exchange ideas with her. Oh, funny story. Elizabeth put a pot
with oil on the stove to make popcorn. I was on the phone outside when I heard
yelling and ran back inside. She had opened the lid and there were huge flames
shooting out of the pot. Grease fire! All three of us started, stupefied, at
the fire a lot longer than I care to admit until Elizabeth yelled, “Baking Powder!”
and threw the contents of the entire box into the pot, which then prompted me
to empty a pitcher of water onto the flames. It worked! We didn’t burn the
house down! Haha I guess it’s a tradition now. Something “exciting” always has
to happen on Women’s Day :)
A few weeks ago we were invited by a priest, who also
happens to be a Portuguese teacher at our school, to have dinner at his church.
Elizabeth and I had passed the church a few times on the road and always
wondered what it looked like inside so we jumped at the opportunity. It was
raining and getting dark by the time we arrived but the church itself was so beautiful.
Could not believe that a church that big would exist here, in the middle of nowhere, in Mozambique! The priests were
very kind and served us tons of food (and fruit!) and then we watched the news
on the television. I think they were use to having foreigners,
especially Brazilians, come and visit this them. I definitely want to go back
another time before I leave to explore during the day. Hopefully it’ll be
sometime soon!
The beautiful exterior
Inside the Church.
Remember the pictures I posted of our garden? Well it is
thriving! We have so much stuff growing in our backyard, I can’t believe it. I
am so thankful to Lino, the student who planted everything for us. I keep
remembering last year when we had no food and how much a garden would have made
a difference. Check it out:
Beans! We had so
many, Elizabeth ended up canning most of them.
Guavas from our tree.
We don’t know what
this is called. Anyone have any idea? It’s a type of gourd. Tastes like a
squash when it’s young but it gets very fibrous when it’s this size.
Cucumbers. They’re
huge here! Elizabeth made pickles :)
Not shown: tomatoes, pumpkin,
and corn.
This isn’t from our
garden but they are so delicious. Sugar apples! The white meat that surrounds
the seeds taste flowery. Don’t know how else to describe it but it tastes
really good!
Also not from our
garden but pickled okra tastes fantastic.
No comments:
Post a Comment