Sunday, June 15, 2014

March 12, 2014

Getting back into the swing of things. When I found out I would be an education volunteer in Mozambique I was a bit upset. Why wasn’t I qualified to volunteer in the Health Sector? I majored in biology and volunteered in a hospital/AIDS foundation, that’s a lot of health stuff! Or so I thought at the time. Now, I can’t stop being thankful for the opportunity to be a teacher. We have more of a schedule to our lives and I think it’s easier me to get to know the youth here in Mozambique (I do see them on a regular basis). Plus, I think they are getting to know me pretty well as well. For some health volunteers, it’s hard to find work to do, which is why our friend, Arielle (a health volunteer), came to give a talk at our school about sexual relations. She was very clear with her information, used anatomical dolls, and had a wooden penis to show the students how to put on a condom. They loved it, especially when they got free American candy for getting questions right. At the end, students were able to write down anonymous questions that Arielle then explained. It was a nice break for Elizabeth and I since we didn’t have to teach for a day and the kids got to learn about important health issues they might not have been taught in the past.

Practicing putting on a condom.
Arielle is also a fantastic cook! She brought us fresh mushrooms, which was the first and last time I have ever seen them sold here in Mozambique. We grilled them outside on the coal since there was no power and they were delicious! The next night we helped her make pumpkin dumplings completely from scratch, including the wrapper. It was lots of work but completely worth it. They look pretty good, right?
Grilling mushrooms
 
Dumplings!

No comments:

Post a Comment